Entrances at Taranaki Base Hospital
As of Monday 14 June 2021 the main hospital building entrance and main reception areas will be relocated to the old main entrance beside Cardiology. The full New East Wing Building construction zone will also be established, creating some major changes to the main public car park.
Changes to hospital campus entrances include:
- Gate 1, David Street - only to be used for entry into Maternity, Outpatients and ED, or for drop offs at the main entrance and for people needing disability parking.
- Gate 2, Tukapa Street – entry into the COVID-19 testing centre, Public Health Unit, Child and Adolescent Community Centre (CACC), Medical/Oncology Outpatients, Cancer Coordination Centre, Drug and Alcohol, Older People’s Health and Mental Health services.
- Gate 3, Lorna Street – this entry is now CLOSED for the duration of the build.
- Gate 4 via Lyn Street – this is now the new entry into the main hospital public car park. It is also the entry point for some construction vehicles and has a new speed limit of 5km per hour.
Parking at Taranaki Base Hospital
As of Monday 14 June 2021 the number of campus car parks will be reduced during the construction of our new East Wing Building. Patient and visitor car parking is a priority, so the reduction will mostly impact on staff.
Tips on parking at Taranaki Base Hospital
- Patient and visitor parking areas are marked with blue lines
- Patients, visitors and staff can all use parking areas marked with white lines
- Only staff can use the carpooling parks marked with green lines
- Specified mother and baby parking is available adjacent to the Antenatal Clinic and outside the Child & Adolescent Community Centre (CACC).
- PLEASE REMEMBER: The new way to access the main public car park is now through Gate 4 off Lyn Street.
- Access from the main carpark to the hospital building will be via the new public walkway which is clearly painted RED (see map below).
Taranaki Base Hospital Map
Click here to open a PDF of the Taranaki Base Hospital parking map (PDF 109 KB)
Got feedback about parking at Taranaki Base or Hāwera Hospital? Let us know via our online feedback form.
Hāwera Hospital map
Click here to view Hāwera Hospital parking map (PDF 37KB)
The Connector hospital bus
Bookings are open for the new weekday Hāwera-New Plymouth bus service. The Hāwera-New Plymouth ‘Connector’ will make four return trips daily from Monday to Friday, operated by Pickering Motors under contract to the Taranaki Regional Council and with funding support from the region’s three District Councils, Te Whatu Ora Taranaki and WITT.
For information on the timetable, fare and route please go to www.trc.govt.nz/hawera-np-connector
Bookings made for Te Whatu Ora Taranaki patients and visitors are to be completed through reception at Base or Hāwera Hospital or one of our Health Centres.
Coastal Community Transport Service
This free service is for Coastal Taranaki residents needing to get to essential commitments such as social service, medical or hospital appointments in New Plymouth, Stratford or Hāwera. Eligibility criteria does apply, please see the flyer below for more information.
Click here to download the Coastal Community Transport Service Flyer (PDF 654 KB)
Public bus services
Click here to see route 3 that stops at Taranaki Base Hospital. Buses will stop outside the Antenatal Clinic and the bus shelter outside the Main Entrance.
Visit the website www.taranakibus.info for information on public bus services in New Plymouth, Bell Block, Waitara, Oakura and South Taranaki.
Last updated: Thursday, September 8, 2022