Visiting our hospitals
- Please visit during our visiting hours (2-8pm for wards; for a full list click here)
- Please don’t visit if you’re feeling unwell. Patients have access to free Wi-Fi thanks to PRIMO; stay at home and connect with your loved ones in hospital via technology if you can.
- Got an appointment but you’re feeling unwell? Please call to reschedule for when you’re feeling better.
- All visitors are encouraged to sanitise your hands and wear a face mask when in our buildings.
- Entrances to Taranaki Base Hospital main building are available at:
- The main entrance by the Emergency Department
- The red path entrance from the main car park (accessed via Lyn Street)
- Tukapa Street entrance (by Oncology)
- The Maternity entrance (accessed via David Street)
- See the Taranaki Base Hospital map to locate these entrances.
- For information on where to get vaccinations (COVID-19, antenatal [pregnancy], childhood and more) in Taranaki, click here.
- For information on COVID-19 testing centres in Taranaki, click here
Patients and Visitors
This area contains information that is useful to patients and visitors. It includes details on what patients should bring with them to hospital, visiting hours and the public facilities available at Taranaki Base Hospital and Hāwera Hospital. Te Whatu Ora Taranaki runs a Patient Enquiry Service, available 24-hours-a-day.
Coming in for your operation - what to bring, anaesthesia and information for before and after your surgery
Public facilities - hospital cafeteria, chapel, Whaiora and smoke free information
Disability access - access, parking, wheelchairs, toilets and sign language interpreters
Transport and parking - public bus, hospital shuttle bus and parking information
Visiting hours - hospital visiting hours information
Interpreters of other languages
Ezispeak Interpreting Service
If you require the services of interpreter in another language Te Whatu Ora Taranaki has access to Ezispeak Interpreting Service. This service allows patients with little or no English to ask for a telephone interpreter to improve communication between patients and medical staff at Te Whatu Ora Taranaki.
Taranaki Base Hospital main entrance
As part of the ongoing enabling works for Project Maunga Stage Two there have been some changes to car parking and entrances. The main entrance to Taranaki Base Hospital is now located next to the Emergency Department (where the old entrance originally was).
Lorna Street entrance (Gate 3) to Base Hospital will be closed until further notice.
Entrance to the main car park is through Lyn Street (Gate 4) and entrance to the main building from here is by following the red path. For more information and a map click here.
The public counter is staffed between 8am-4.30pm (Taranaki Base Hospital) and 7.30am – 4.30pm (Hāwera Hospital). Outside of office hours please use the telephone on the wall and call “O’ for operator assistance.
Wheelchairs are located at the main entrances. If you need a wheelchair and none are available, please ask a volunteer or receptionist. Outside of office hours, please use the telephone adjacent to reception to phone the operator on “0” and an orderly will be arranged to assist you.
“Meet and Greet” volunteers are available to assist you at the main and maternity entrances at Taranaki Base Hospital on Monday to Fridays between 9am-11.30am and 1pm-3pm.
Click here to be taken to the Contact Us page.
Click here for Taranaki Base Hospital maps.
Last updated: Thursday, September 8, 2022