A key focus for the DHB is to grow our own health professionals and we want to expose and support students from an early age to the health sector. We have options for all students and our Whyora programme www.whyora.co.nz targets Māori students as it is a objective to increase the number of Maori working in the health sector. We want to work closely with Career Advisors to promote information about career opportunities in the health sector.
Supporting tertiary students during their under graduate training is as equally important, as we want the Taranaki DHB to be their preferred choice of employer for their first year of employment.
The Taranaki DHB Health Education Scholarship Programme supports tertiary students and information on this can be found by clicking here.
Here is some information for students interested in a placement at the Taranaki DHB.
New Zealand Secondary School Students
Taranaki DHB is active in providing opportunities for secondary school students to be exposed to the many careers in health and will try to meet requests for placements. However our clinicians are very busy and we are committed to hosting tertiary students across all occupational areas throughput the year that limits our ability.
We attend the annual Taranaki Careers Expo at the TSB Stadium with heath professionals available to talk to and provide you with a true perspective of what it is like working in the health sector.
We seek to work closely with the secondary school Career Advisors and ensure they are up to date will information on health careers.
New Zealand Tertiary Students
Taranaki DHB has linkages with many of the tertiary education providers for most specialist areas and there may be an agreement in place that facilitates placements. Therefore your first course of action if you are interested in a placement at the Taranaki DHB, is to contact your course supervisor / head of faculty who can then liaise with the relevant person at the hospital.
We welcome nursing students with an interest in the Taranaki Nurse Entry to Practice Programme (NEtP). Please contact Nicola.Hughes@tdhb.org.nz (NEtP Coordinator).
If your course supervisor is not able to advise you on a placement, you can then contact the following:
All students are required to sign a code of conduct and complete a health questionnaire. If you are over 18 years of age you may also be required to complete a police vetting authorisation.
Overseas Medical Students
Taranaki DHB welcomes students from both within and outside of New Zealand. We have been hosting medical students for many years, from many countries.
We do have a link with the University of Auckland and their students do get primacy, but we have capacity to accommodate other students.
Students who are not New Zealand residents will be charged a fee to cover administration costs. This is NZD $750, which is inline with that charged by other DHBs within New Zealand.
- Please email us at: Medical.Students@tdhb.org.nz and state your:
- Name, age and nationality
- Preferred dates
- Preferred areas of interest (please supply more than one area if possible, as if your preferred area is not able to accommodate you we can ask your other choices), and if applicable Consultant. It is also possible to sometimes split the rotations/electives.
- We also require a brief CV including referees. You must be able to speak English as that is the language used in New Zealand.
- You will be responsible to arrange the appropriate immigration permits and any medical registration required for your placement.
- Your application will be forwarded to the relevant department and you should receive a reply within a month. If you do not please re-email us.
- If accepted, you will need to fill in a questionnaire, and/or have an interview (telephone is fine) which is in relation to the NZ Vulnerable Children Act, 2014.
There are many websites that have information on Taranaki, which is a wonderful area, highly rated by Lonely Planet and many other agencies. Google can find these reviews for you.
We have accommodation available in the Staff Hostel.
Download our hostel brochure here (PDF 1.6 MB)
Friday, July 2, 2021